Friday, April 10, 2015

Pasig Ferry, the coolest way to Binondo

Update: Regarding the smell, There is unfortunately a smell at Escolta terminal (not in Guadalupe Terminal) which you'll most likely notice if you stay there while waiting. My advise is to only stay there a few minutes before the ferry leaves or use the Guadalupe to Boni Route for a stench free experience.

One of the most common complaints of those who are going to Binondo is the constant heavy traffic. No matter which way you go using land transportation, it really takes a while just to get to the main streets of Binondo such as Ongpin and Juan Luna. Base from my experiences (year 2013-2015), it usually takes me on average 1-2 hours to reach the end of Jones Bridge by car or by public transportation. But what if there was a better way to get to Binondo with less hassle and more fun? The answer came to me while I was returning home from Guadalupe EDSA and saw a little ferry that came from terminal for the Pasig Ferry.

MMDA Pasig Ferry
Schedule: Monday - Saturday, Departure time differs per terminal but has 1 hour interval.
View from Gateway Condo, Guadalupe
I would like give thanks to my friends Jersey and Sharon for letting me take a picture from their unit.


I was curious if the people in the ferry were tourists so I decided to take a look.

Pasig Ferry Guadalupe Terminal Fares
I was surprised to find out that there was something like this, a ferry that can take you to different places along Pasig River and one of the destination was ESCOLTA (near the famous Savory Chicken Restaurant, and also the end of Jones Bridge). There is a ferry that departs every hour starting from 6:30am in the morning until 4:30pm in the afternoon, Mondays to Fridays. I actually arrived just after the ferry left but I decided to wait and take the next trip.

My Ticket
Inside the terminal
The inside of the terminal is actually pretty hot and with little ventilation, so I suggest coming here around 15 minutes before the scheduled departure if you want to avoid the heat especially during afternoons (Note: My experience here is at Guadalupe Terminal).

A few minutes before 2:30pm, we were called to board the ferry.  

Here we go!!
Guadalupe Bridge
Tivoli Gardens
Swimming Kids
2nd Stop: Sta. Ana Terminal
Lambingan Terminal: Couple's Destination

3rd Stop: PUP Terminal
Federal Land Condominiums
Binondo Skyline?

Manila Post Office
FEATI University



Final Destination: Escolta Terminal

Escolta Terminal
Escolta Terminal
After you exit the Escolta Terminal, turn left and go up the bridge and you'll see this:

Welcome to Manila Chinatown!
The traffic you won't need to experience, thanks to Pasig River

Overall, the trip was really fun, somewhat relaxing and FAST. The entire trip only took around 40 mins instead of the usual 1-2 hour trip (We left Guadalupe Terminal around 2 30 pm and reached Escolta around 3:10pm). I saw a lot of new view of places such as Binondo, Malate and Mandaluyong. You can even see a complete view of Malacañang Palace, the only sad thing is that you can’t take a picture while in the area, not unless you want to be questioned by the accompanying coast guard haha.
In terms of smell of the river, I wasn’t able to notice any but if ever my nose let me down during the trip, please do let me know to help inform the others.

The Pasig Ferry is open during Mondays to
Fridays Saturdays. The ferry from Guadalupe Terminal leaves every hour starting 6:30am in the morning until 4:30pm in the afternoon, this is going to Escolta. As for the Escolta Terminal, the ferry leaves every hour starting 6:30am in the morning until
4:155:30pm in the afternoon. This is as of April 4, 2015. They might change their prices and schedule without prior notice, but I will do my best to keep the information as updated as possible. Too bad they aren't open until the evening and weekends to cater those who have work during the weekdays.

MMDA Pasig Ferry
Schedule: Monday - Saturday, Departure time differs per terminal but has 1 hour interval.
Stations:

#StationLocation
1Plaza MexicoIntramuros, Manila
2EscoltaBinondo, Manila
3PUP (Polytechnic University of the Philippines)Santa Mesa, Manila
4Santa AnaSanta Ana, Manila
5GuadalupeBarangay Guadalupe Nuevo, Makati City
6San JoaquinBarangay San Joaquin, Pasig City
7Pinagbuhatan - AcasiaBarangay Pinagbuhatan, Pasig City


Apologies for some blurry pictures, the sun was too strong that it affected the lighting. I will also update this in the future once I obtain more information like the contact numbers of each terminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment